[mythtv-users] osd font issue

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 28 16:45:54 UTC 2010

On 03/28/2010 12:34 PM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> On 2010-03-28 18:12, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>>> We use 0.22-fixes here.
>>> Retro-OSD is what is configured for OSD theme.
>>> $ rpm -qf /usr/share/mythtv/themes/Retro-OSD
>>> mythtv-themes-0.22-1.fc12.noarch
>>>
>> OK, Retro-OSD is an OSD theme and is a supported theme from myththemes
>> (even in 0.23-fixes).
>>
>> But, for some reason that theme didn't update properly, since
>> "descriptfont" appears nowhere in any of the files in
>> mythtv/mythplugins/myththemes.  Or, you have an old copy in
>> $HOME/.mythtv/themes or something
>>
> I reinstalled the themes rpm and the description thing is in there.
> It refers to Vera.ttf which is in ~/.fonts.

OK...  You're using 0.22-fixes...  I had only looked in 0.23-fixes.

>> then reinstall mythtv, mythplugins, and myththemes (and take care of any
>> old $HOME/.mythtv/themes themes).
>>
> Did so.
>
>>> So what is missing?
>>>
>> Caption/subtitle fonts must be in /usr/{,local/}share/mythtv directory
>> (but should already be there on a proper install).  If it is, something
>> is preventing mythfrontend from reading it (permissions, ...) or
>> preventing FreeType from loading it (corrupt file, ...).
>>
> So ~/.fonts won't work?
>
> Copying Vera.ttf and VeraBd.ttf over to /usr/sharemythtv doesn't fix the
> issue.

No, the ~/.fonts dir means nothing to MythTV.  Caption fonts in
/usr/share/mythtv, and theme-specific fonts in
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/<themename> (so in this case,
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/Retro-OSD ).

Though the caption font error means that the font file wasn't
available/readable, the "Unknown font: descriptfont" means that there's
an error in your OSD XML.

That issue was fixed for 0.23-fixes.
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/23338

Mike