[mythtv-users] 0.23-fixes (aka RC1) Upgrade Results and Theme Contest

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 19:35:36 UTC 2010

If it matters, system is Phenom II X3, 4GB, Debian Squeeze with SID
NVidia drivers for VDPAU support and mythtv built from SVN.

Grabbed the source:
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-23-fixes/
mythtv-release-0-23-fixes

Tip, enter the myththemes directory and look for arclight. That will
tell you whether you're actually installing 0.23. Something happened
the first time I tried to checkout the source I ended up with 0.22
again. Not sure if it was something I did or something on the SVN
server-side. The presence of the arclight theme will confirm that you
have the correct source.

Shut down running backened and frontend.

Entered the mythtv source directory default configure, make, make
install. All OK.
Entered mythplugins, configured wanted plugins, make, make install. All OK.
Entered myththemes, configure, make install. All OK though not sure if
this step is necessary but I always do it anyway.

Ran mythtv-setup. It updated the schema, all OK.
Started the backend with my init script.
Started the frontend. There's another schema update. This one took
longer. Entered setup and changed my audio settings from stereo to
5.1. I only have stereo speakers but using SPDIF with the upconvert
setting up this should send the full channel information to my
receiver and allow it to process the data.

Went to theming competition website and downloaded/installed the
competition themes.
http://www.mythtv.org/theming-competition
All of them look quite good. Hope to see them added to SVN. RE:
themes, is there a way to force a font size increase? I find some of
them unusable with small fonts from my couch. Tried the % font change
setting but did nothing with the few themes I tried. I assume the
themer has some control over accepting/not accepting this user
setting.

Tested all of the plugins I use, played with the new themes and
everything seems to be working OK after the upgrade. Hopefully this
helps someone out.

Thanks developers! This looks like a great incremental release over
0.22 which I've found very solid.