[mythtv-users] No one secertly working on a mythtv spotify plugin?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 27 13:11:28 UTC 2010

On 03/26/2010 11:25 PM, Mw wrote:
>>> Doesn't Last.fm have an API specifically for the purpose of building
>>> third-party plugins like this?
>> I thought that was only for sending the "What I'm currently listening
>> to" or play count info to the server, but it seems that you can do radio
>> (only) with a paid subscription. http://www.last.fm/api/radio
>
> Hrmmm.
>
> I do not have a paid subscription (I'm in the US) and the Last.FM
> player/client on my Squeezebox streams radio, just no access to 'My
> Playlists', 'Loved' and 'Tagged' tracks. It scrobbles your local music
> of course.
>
> For any of you UK and German folks with a Symbian smartphone such as a
> Nokia or Sony/Ericssen UIQ, the FL/OSS app Mobbler is a fantastic
> player/client with active development. It works fine in the US but
> AFAIK you'll likely have to pay full price for an unlocked phone
> because none of the US carriers have embraced Symbian phones[1].
>
> From the Last.FM site:
>
>> Do I need to pay to listen to the radio?
>>     If you live outside the UK, US and Germany then Last.fm Radio is
>> a subscriber feature. This was changed on 22 April 2009; you can read
>> more about the changes here.
>>
>>     If you live in the UK, US or Germany:
>>     If you live in one of these three countries, you can listen to
>> Last.fm Radio for free (with the exception of subscription premium
>> radio features: listening to playlists and stations of music you've
>> loved or tagged).
>>
>>     If you live in another country:
>>     As a Last.fm user living in a country other than the UK, US or
>> Germany you get a 30 track free trial before you need to subscribe to
>> listen to Last.fm Radio.
>
> Short answer: The radio API is fair game to become a myth plug-in,
> just with the limitations described above.

Plus the limitation at the top of http://www.last.fm/api/radio in bold
and inside a highlighted note box:

*Who can I stream radio to?*
Any API account can *only* stream radio to Last.fm's paid *subscribers*.
*Note:* Due to licensing restrictions, you may not use the radio API on
mobile telephones.

Doing otherwise is a violation of the service's terms--regardless of
which of your other programs/devices are violating those terms, MythTV
does not condone ToS violations.

Mike