[mythtv-users] No one secertly working on a mythtv spotify plugin?

Mw meatwad2021 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 03:25:34 UTC 2010

On 3/18/2010 2:46 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 03/18/2010 03:18 PM, Christopher Meredith wrote:
>>> On 03/18/2010 02:28 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> So, the only way to use last.fm in MythTV without violating its ToS
>>> is by
>>> popping up MythBrowser pointed to the website. That works, now.

>> Doesn't Last.fm have an API specifically for the purpose of building
>> third-party plugins like this?

> I thought that was only for sending the "What I'm currently listening
> to" or play count info to the server, but it seems that you can do radio
> (only) with a paid subscription. http://www.last.fm/api/radio

Hrmmm.

I do not have a paid subscription (I'm in the US) and the Last.FM
player/client on my Squeezebox streams radio, just no access to 'My
Playlists', 'Loved' and 'Tagged' tracks. It scrobbles your local music
of course.

For any of you UK and German folks with a Symbian smartphone such as a
Nokia or Sony/Ericssen UIQ, the FL/OSS app Mobbler is a fantastic
player/client with active development. It works fine in the US but AFAIK
you'll likely have to pay full price for an unlocked phone because none
of the US carriers have embraced Symbian phones[1].

 From the Last.FM site:

> Do I need to pay to listen to the radio?
>     If you live outside the UK, US and Germany then Last.fm Radio is a subscriber feature. This was changed on 22 April 2009; you can read more about the changes here.
>
>     If you live in the UK, US or Germany:
>     If you live in one of these three countries, you can listen to Last.fm Radio for free (with the exception of subscription premium radio features: listening to playlists and stations of music you've loved or tagged).
>
>     If you live in another country:
>     As a Last.fm user living in a country other than the UK, US or Germany you get a 30 track free trial before you need to subscribe to listen to Last.fm Radio.

Short answer: The radio API is fair game to become a myth plug-in, just
with the limitations described above.

--
mw

[1] I could be wrong because I stopped paying attention to the US mobile
phone market in 2007 after ordering a Nokia N95 from Am at zon.