[mythtv-users] Nvidia drops support for open source driver

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 26 23:26:19 UTC 2010

On Friday 26 March 2010 05:11:15 pm Brent Bolin wrote:
> http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/03/26/2240250/Nvidia-Drops-Support-Fo
> r-Its-Open-Source-Driver _______________________________________________

Is this just the Open Source driver? I assume the "binary blob" proprietary
driver for Linux will continue?

While I'd prefer to see a totally open source driver, I'm not fanatical about
it, and I can certainly understand that nVidia would not want to potentially
give away information that might aid its competition.

As long as the "blob" continues to be available for Linux, I can continue to
get hardware acceleration under Linux, and it's "free" (as in beer). I'd even
pay a reasonable fee for a Linux driver, though I'm sure I'm in the minority
here. I suspect a lot of Myth users don't remember the days of having to buy a
driver from X-Inside or some other vendor for some video chips, back in the
90s.