[mythtv-users] mythbuntu video stutter

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Thu Mar 25 23:09:07 UTC 2010

On 03/25/2010 11:24 AM, Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:

>> >/
>> />/  OK, now hit Edit on the first entry in the list. Hit next, then you'll
>> />/  see a field for Custom Filters. Add "vdpaubuffersize=32" (without the
>> />/  quotes) to this box - if there's already something in the box,
>> />/  separate entries with a comma. (ie. yours might read
>> />/  "vdpaucolorspace=auto,vdpaubuffersize=32").
>> />/  Repeat for the other entries in the list.
>> />/
>> />/
>> /
>> Chris,
>>
>>    Thanks. I will try this. I have a 9400GT with 512M video memory. So,
>> can I use a bigger number? Will that be even better/robust? or will it
>> actually messup things?
>>
>> Ramesh
> I set the vdpaubuffersize=32 and the stutter reduced, but did not go
> away. Now it happens less frequently and
> for a shorter period (could not test extensively as I had screwed up
> something else and lost AC3/DTS pass through)
> But stutter is more prominent, ie, it is noticeable and distinctly more
> jerky. I will play with different size and see what
> I get. In the mean time, if you think of something, let me know.

The videocard probably can't do the level of deinterlace processing that you
are requesting it to do.

On the same screen where you entered the buffer size, there are settings to
adjust that processing.  Try setting the Primary Deinterlacer to "Temporal
(2x, HW)" and the Fallback Deinterlacer to "Temporal (1x, HW)".  You'll have
to play with the settings until find what works best for your system.

Depending on the version of MythTV you are running, you can also try the
different playback profiles (VDPAU slim, VDPAU normal and VDPAU high quality)
which adjust those and other settings.

Alan