[mythtv-users] mythbuntu upgrade

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Thu Mar 25 01:52:23 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> My back end is on 8.04LTS with myth-0.21-fixes. One reason for not
> going to 0.22 was the lack of desire/guts/patience to update
> 8.04->8.10->9.04->9.10.
>
> Now that 10.04 LTS is almost upon us, along with 0.23 (hopefully by
> then) a new thought occurs. I understand that for ubuntu a direct
> 8.04LTS->10.04LTS is supported. This would make sense for the type of
> market the LTS releases are marketed to.
>
> Also I imagine myth 0.21-fixes should successfully upgrade to mythtv-0.23.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of either the direct LTS->LTS upgrade
> or the 0.21->0.23 upgrade that they feel they should share with me
> before I decide to go with this strategy in the next month?

A lot of changes have happened between 8.04 and 10.04. In order to
realise the full benefit of these improvements (particularly the
improvements to boot time [largely achieved by obsoleting HAL]) I'd
strongly recommend starting from scratch.

So, my suggestion: Update your current system to 0.23, backup the
database, wipe the OS and start again with 10.04. Restore the
database, and you're away.

If that's not practical, I'm pretty sure that a direct upgrade would work.

- Chris