[mythtv-users] Comcast moved 2 channels - what to do?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 25 01:39:40 UTC 2010

Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>> Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> This had been in the message section of my STB. Today Comcast moved
>>> channel 35 (FOOD) to channel 34, and moved channel 41 (TBS) to channel
>>> 35.
>>>
>>> How do I best handle this sort of change in Myth? Is there a place to
>>> modify this in the frontend? I don't really want to do a complete new
>>> scan. Maybe it happens automatically when SchedulesDirect catches up?
>>> I'm not sure what state SchedulesDirect is in on this one right now as
>>> I logged in to look around and found all of the effected channels were
>>> missing from my line-up. (Approximately 6:15 PST)
>>
>> Assuming analog (or STB-tuned), log into mythweb and reset the channel
>> number?  YMMV.
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mark
>>
>> -derek
>
> Thanks. Sorry I didn't say but I am HDHR based.
>
> I found documents on the MythTV site that suggested mythfilldatabase
> --do-channel-updates but it requires that SchedulesDirect have updated
> their site and so far they haven't.

Your statement that they changed from "35" to "34" and "41" to "35" did
not imply HDHR/QAM, and moreover those channel numbers have nothing to
do with an HDHR/QAM!  Those numbers are translated in the STB.  There's
nothing that says that Comcast actually moved those channels (in the
QAM) sense!

Have you tested that?  It's quite possible that just because they
changed the mapping from QAM -> ChanNum, it does not imply that they
changed the QAM for the channel.

> Fortunately we're not recording on those channels tonight so I have a
> little breathing room as long as I get it cleaned up tomorrow
> hopefully.

-derek