[mythtv-users] YAMP Again (Yet Another Media Player, again)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 24 15:12:13 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 24 March 2010 08:54:11 am greg wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > Looks like another entry into the ever-growing media player field:
> >
> > http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/home-entertainment/d3fe/
> >
> > This one says it will record as well as play, but I only see a composite
> > input, so that means SD only. Not even an S-Video input. No mention of
> > what format it records in.
> >
> > You have to supply your own HDD, given that, a Myka is cheaper.
> >
> > Generally, if something says "Pro" on it, it isn't. :-)

> I bought a Patriot Box office media player,and received it yesterday..I
> will try to test it today and let you know how it works.. Right now I am
> using  PS3 media server streaming to my PS3 and xbox360,it works
> great,but it crashes on a regular basis... If the Patriot don't work I
> will ship it back to Newegg...

I've tried many different solutions along these lines.

The biggest problem with the PS3 is it draws over 200 watts at idle, the X-Box
360 isn't far behind, I can feel the heat from it as I walk by the cabinet
it's in.

I have a D-Link DSM-520 that works pretty well, within its limitations. I also
have a Myka, which is very nice, I especially like the fact that it can find
and use NFS shares, a feature not found in most media players.

Netflix capability is important to me, the PS3 will do that, but again at a
high power cost. The XBox-360 can do Netflix by using the PlayOn server,
without the monthly charge needed to do it otherwise, the idea of sending
money each month to Microsoft makes me ill.

I ordered the Kodak unit from Woot, for $50 I figure I can't go too wrong. It
hasn't arrived yet.

Mostly I use media players for other family member who can't or won't use Myth
directly, the UPnP server in Myth makes it easy for them to watch Myth
recordings.

Some DirectTV receivers will work as UPnP devices, though they can't deal with
.MKV files. AVI files don't support variable framerate or out-of-sequence
frames, not a really big deal, but Matroska is a superior container.

I'd appreciate your opinion of the Patriot, once you've had a chance to check
it out.