[mythtv-users] Android STB's?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Mon Mar 22 17:17:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Brian <coszmos at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In the "could be a step towards another front end approcah"
>>> department, I found this via LXer.com:
>>>
>>> Viosoft Corp. is shipping an Android development kit for MIPS-based
>>> digital multimedia designs, with a special focus on IP set-top boxes
>>> (STBs). The Android Adoption Kit combines Sigma Designs' SMP8654-based
>>> Vantage 8654 Development Platform with a version of Viosoft's Arriba
>>> IDE/Debugger optimized for Android on MIPS, says the company.
>>>

>>> http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Viosoft-and-Sigma-Designs-Android-Adoption-Kit-for-MIPS/?kc=rss
>

>> It looks like there is some progress on this front:
>> http://gizmodo.com/5495856/a-google-tv-set+top-box-is-coming?skyline=true&s=i
>>
>> <late night rambles>
>>
>> I've been seeing a bunch of these development kits based on arm and atom
>> running ubuntu at work.  They all have accelerated graphics and are low
>> power and fairly mature so it's only a matter of time until they hit the
>> market.. These are tiny machines which can be embedded in any type of
>> device.
>>
>> I refuse :) to ponder what impact these ubiquitous devices will have on our
>> hobby.  It will be interesting to see how a corporate entity that relies on
>> ads deals with the presentation.
>>
>> I have a G1 and I'm still on the fence about everything.  On one side I'm
>> using my own custom firmware, but on the other hand I'm still using their
>> services.  I'm not sure if I want all of these services available on my tv,
>> but it sure would be nice to ditch the cable company.
>>
>> </rambles>
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Brian
>
> didn't Google, Intel and somebody else just announce another settopbox
> alliance based on Android and the Atom processor?  hopefully it will
> be hackable. :)

I assume you're talking about Intel and Nokia... I don't think it
included Google:

"Intel and Nokia are merging their open source Linux operating systems
to create a MeeGo OS, designed for mobile devices ranging from
handhelds to netbooks. Hosted by the Linux Foundation, MeeGo builds
upon the core from the Intel-backed Moblin technology and adds Nokia's
Maemo middleware elements, as well as Nokia's Qt application
framework."

(from http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Intel-and-Nokia-MeeGo/)

   Marc