[mythtv-users] Remote keys stop working

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Mar 22 16:06:49 UTC 2010

On 03/21/2010 09:39 AM, Mark wrote:
> R. G. Newbury wrote:

>>> New batteries, no change. I and M don't work. Everything else does.
>>> Nobody modified anything on the frontend, they just quit working.
>>
>> OK. One potential error source deleted from the list.
>>
>> How about firing up xev from a console, and checking if the keyboard
>> is actually sending anything.
>>
>> If not...well you can try taking the keyboard apart to clean it, or
>> wash it in a shower, but it may just be suffering from a terminal case
>> of alzheimers disease. (all puns are intended).
>>
>> Geoff
>>
> We figured it out. An undocumented feature of the wireless keyboard we
> have is a locking Function key. The I and M keys are on the keypad
> portion of the keyboard when in Fn locked mode. It's weird because
> there's no led indicator on the reciever that Fn is locked, like caps
> and num lock.
> Thanks for the suggestions though.

It's actually called the OSD Menu Editor in the Setup.

Nasty little 'feature' (can't be a *bug*, it's doing what it was
actually intended to do...) Maybe you can determine the keycode which
the Fn+I combination sends, and then add a mapping in the OSD Editor sp
that it works as expected. Although that will not tell you that the Fn
key is locked.
And I cannot think of any quick way to tell yourself that that key is
locked....
Geoff