[mythtv-users] MythTV in the UK

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 22:36:17 UTC 2010

>> DVB-T2 will not obsolete DVB-T. The HD mux will use DVB-T2, the others
>> will continue to use DVB-T and your Nova T tuners should be fine for
>> the SD channels.
>
> HD doesn't NEED dvb-t2. In NZ Freeview carries HD quite well on DVB-T
>
> Of course your local implementation may be relying on features of T2,

nah, not really relying on features unless you consider that selling
off spectrum to non-TV uses is a "feature" of DVB-T2.

OfCom should not in my view be selling much TV-spectrum at all; they
should be ensuring that there is enough spectrum available to keep
terrestrial TV users at least with a reasonably comparable TV (to pay
for Cable and Satellite).

OfCom seem to be relying on improvements in codecs and other
technology to enable the reuse of the spectrum in the future to keep
up with Cable and Satellite service quality... which may not always
hold-true.

To be fair; Cable have an unfair advantage as they could use the
entire cable bandwidth to pipe just a single (set-top box requested)
channel to the home...

Anyway; you're right HD doesn't need DVB-T2 although DVB-T2 does
provide H.264 which is significantly more efficient as we all know and
with the commercial value of spectrum it is unrealistic to use 4 SD
channels worth of bandwidth to send one HD channel; esp, now we are
all used to having 70+ channels.