[mythtv-users] Android STB's?

Brian coszmos at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 08:49:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 6:02 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the "could be a step towards another front end approcah"
> department, I found this via LXer.com:
>
> Viosoft Corp. is shipping an Android development kit for MIPS-based
> digital multimedia designs, with a special focus on IP set-top boxes
> (STBs). The Android Adoption Kit combines Sigma Designs' SMP8654-based
> Vantage 8654 Development Platform with a version of Viosoft's Arriba
> IDE/Debugger optimized for Android on MIPS, says the company.
>

> http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Viosoft-and-Sigma-Designs-Android-Adoption-Kit-for-MIPS/?kc=rss

It looks like there is some progress on this front:
http://gizmodo.com/5495856/a-google-tv-set+top-box-is-coming?skyline=true&s=i

<late night rambles>

I've been seeing a bunch of these development kits based on arm and atom
running ubuntu at work.  They all have accelerated graphics and are low
power and fairly mature so it's only a matter of time until they hit the
market.. These are tiny machines which can be embedded in any type of
device.

I refuse :) to ponder what impact these ubiquitous devices will have on our
hobby.  It will be interesting to see how a corporate entity that relies on
ads deals with the presentation.

I have a G1 and I'm still on the fence about everything.  On one side I'm
using my own custom firmware, but on the other hand I'm still using their
services.  I'm not sure if I want all of these services available on my tv,
but it sure would be nice to ditch the cable company.

</rambles>

Cheers,
Brian