[mythtv-users] MythDroid vs MythWeb/tv/remote/

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sat Mar 20 00:22:01 UTC 2010

I've been considering my WiFi remote strategy.  In summary:

Mythdroid has some appeal however I have a number of devices that do not run android natively.

O2 Atom Life has Winmo OS.  The hardware can be upgraded to android 1.6 - that WiFi does not yet work on and in reality is probably
not likely to.

Nokia N810 has Maemo and Wifi.  Nitdroid is around and incomplete.

Nexus one has android and could be worked up with mythdroid, however its not currently straight forward for me to do.

However all the above devices feature working WiFi browsers...that work now.  Blackberry and FreeBSD based (apple) devices that I
don't have and others will also have working WiFi browsers.

It seems to me that mythdroid is a good idea however it is limited to a small subset of devices and that mythweb/remote is a much
more sensible path to pursue that will work better for more devices and people.   What advantage does mythdroid offer over a working
mythweb/remote ?  Possibly speed?  Anything else?

For the above reasons I feel that with my limited resource I should spend my time not on testing mythdroid but rather exploring the
mythweb/remote path because that is the one I see as the best one.

I would welcome any comment on the above analysis.

I did get a look into mythweb/remote/ for a bit until I saved a cookie or something and it no longer displays as it did.  I also
note one can choose different (ipod and lite) templates that give some thinned down detail.  I also saw something that offered to
choose a frontend to play a recording on, however that's now vanished somewhere. I note http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7765 which
also seems related.  Is this where its currently at?