[mythtv-users] Reassemble RAID with mdadm

MarcT myrdhn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 22:13:03 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of freedenizen
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:54 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Reassemble RAID with mdadm

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 4:04 PM, MarcT <myrdhn at gmail.com> wrote:
> RAID 6 would be the best setup (4-2, similar to the 4 drive 10 or 0+1
setup
> but you can lose any 2 drives ant not 1 drive from each mirror/stripe)
> However, for software RAID, I don't think we are ready for that yet with
> today's systems and you would see the performance hit that was commented
on
> above. You would need a hardware RAID controller to make use of RAID 6
> without seeing a significant hit to performance.

I'm not so sure about this, I mean we are talking about TV recordings,
even HD, which is pretty light IO wise.  I've seen quite good software
RAID 6 performance, and other people have as well:
http://louwrentius.blogspot.com/2009/06/linux-raid-6-performance-using-softw
are.html

Even without making a massive array like that, your performance with
RAID6 will be more then good enough for your recording needs, and
being able to survive 2 disks failures is very nice, especially as you
end up increasing the size of the array (which happens to all of us).

One thing to note, mdadm 3.1 and kernel => 2.6.32 should support RAID
level modification, meaning you can move from one raid level to
another, it also support other online changes.  I wouldn't go for 3.1
yet myself, as it is still pretty fresh, and I'm sure there are bugs
to work it.  Also to note those features require superblock ver 1.1

My next upgrade I may do what one of the other posters said. Put an OS
mirror on all drives.
This way I could run 6 1-2 TB drives in the system as storage in RAID 6 with
the OS partition mirrored on the same drives across all 6 disks.

Marc