[mythtv-users] Poor Signal Strength

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Thu Mar 18 14:21:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Simon Faulkner <simon at titanic.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been trying to get Myth running for several years on and off.
>
> I now have a Ubuntu box with a pair of Huppauge HVR 3000 DVB-S (T) Cards
> which runs really well and I *LOVE* it.
>
> Thank you to all the folks who have worked to get it this far.
>
> My slight problems is that I get poor signal strength
>
> Signal 5%
> S/N 4.8Db

This is likely just an issue with the representation of the counters.
Because there is no uniformity in terms of the units (the V4L-DVB spec
was not specific enough), every card represents the raw data
differently.  Hence, for people who happen to have the same cards that
the MythTV developers had, the numbers look fine.  For everybody else,
the information provided is complete garbage.

You can run femon and see the raw values.  And given who authored the
demodulator driver, I would guess the SNR is probably in 0.1dB
incremements (meaning an SNR of 0x00b4 would equal 18.0 dB)

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com