[mythtv-users] Reassemble RAID with mdadm

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 14:11:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:02 AM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Don't know much about rebuilding mdadm raid1 because I have never done so.
>
> Rebuilding a raid1 is exactly the same as creating it in the first place
> with a disk that has data you want to keep.  If you've still got the array
> (i.e. one disk is still there and the array is degraded) just add a spare
> and let it replicate. Otherwise create a degraded array out of the disk with
> the data you want to keep (specify the mirror as missing) then add the
> spare.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Steve,

Here is the current status of my raid -

mdadm -D /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
        Version : 00.90
  Creation Time : Mon Dec 14 19:17:08 2009
     Raid Level : raid1
     Array Size : 976759936 (931.51 GiB 1000.20 GB)
  Used Dev Size : 976759936 (931.51 GiB 1000.20 GB)
   Raid Devices : 2
  Total Devices : 2
Preferred Minor : 0
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

    Update Time : Tue Mar 16 09:00:38 2010
          State : clean
 Active Devices : 2
Working Devices : 2
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

           UUID : d376cfd0:a438be3c:5f1e94b5:d63edfe3 (local to host myth)
         Events : 0.283797

    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       8       17        0      active sync   /dev/sdb1
       1       8       33        1      active sync   /dev/sdc1

So if the status ever changes to degraded(not sure what it would
change to if bad sectors etc...) could I simply bring the box down and
replace with another drive?  I don't have any spares defined trying to
keep power usage as low as possible.

Or is there an added set of commands to run when the bad drive is replaced?