[mythtv-users] Non-HD recordings via HD-PVR are huge; can anything be done?

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 18:33:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 10:29 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>
> > Although the extended basic channels are being broadcast by Comcast in
> > ClearQAM in many areas,
>
> So does this mean the cheap DTA's *can* handle decryption (in that case
> I don't see why they didn't just go to encryption immediately), or that
> they will issue different (more expensive) DTA's? I can't wait to see
> how their marketing droids try to spin this as "good for the consumer"
> as they have done with the recent analog->digital switchover ("your VCR
> is now a brick, but hey, it's GOOD for you!" )-:  Or if the DTAs really
> do decryption, they may not even bother to tell us when they are going
> to do this?

The cheap DTA's can do decryption, although from what I have heard, it is a
less complicated version of encryption. I think that originally, the FCC
wasn't allowing them to deploy this encryption, but later gave in.  I was
happily getting the expanded basic channels in clear QAM until last
Thursday. The DTA's can still get those channels, but my HDHomerun shows
them as encrypted.  I have had several e-mail exchanges with a few of
Comcast's personas, Jerico (good cop) and  John (bad cop).

They claim they made it clear that after the transition I would need some of
their equipment hooked up to each TV, although their initial letter, sent
before the FCC lifted the ban on encrypting basic service, indicated that I
could use my Digital TV.  Later, reading the policy on their web site, it is
pretty clear that they will be requiring a box for every TV.  They never
told me when they were going to turn on the encryption, though.

I'm currently examining my options.  If I could just convince the rest of
the family, I would go strictly over the air, at least for a while.
Examining the alternatives has made me aware of just how much I pay for
cable (or would pay for satellite) and since 80% of what I watch is OTA, it
gets really hard to justify paying so much for the extra 20%

Bill