[mythtv-users] Non-HD recordings via HD-PVR are huge; can anything be done?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon Mar 15 17:21:12 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 09:21 -0700, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> Greg, I was able to get my PVR-500 working with two DTAs:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-January/278677.html

So far I have at other times never been able to get an IR blaster to
work on my system. I have read all the success stories of others but I
have never been able to get it to work. I beat my head against the wall
for a long time with this before I gave up. I tried both a native serial
port and a Keyspan USB/Serial adapter without any luck.

The problem with setups like yours, for me, is always how to change the
channel on the STB. For my HD-PVR, changing channels via firewire works
quite well, but of course that option is not available

> Once Comcast enables privacy mode in my area

What does this mean exactly? If they stop transmitting the
formerly-analog channels in the clear, will they be issuing a different
type of DTA? Or is there some potentially critial piece of this that I
am missing?

--Greg