[mythtv-users] Fwd: Further Notice of Seagate Hard Drive Class Action and Proposed Settlement

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Mar 12 18:48:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:54 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 09:56:04AM -0700, Travis Tabbal wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Just in case anyone missed this.
> > >
> > > WOW! Free backup and recovery software. Be still my heart :-)
> >

> > And again the lawyers get loads of money while customers get nothing of
> > worth. I shouldn't be surprised. At least with the Deathstars I got $100
> out
> > of it, so they bought me a new drive. They should at least be required to
> > swap out the defective drives with new ones or something like that.
>
>    This is about the whole 1024 vs 1000 thing. Even if you were to get a
> cut
> of a personal damage award for this, it probably wouldn't be much. It
> probably
> wouldn't be enough to cover the extra shipping charges involved in an RMA.

I neglected to read the complaint fully. I thought this was about the bad
drives from a while back causing data loss. Firmware on 1.5TB drives I
believe. That it's about the size thing is really stupid. Drives have been
specced that way for as long as I can remember dealing with HDDs. Not to
mention formatting overhead and such. This suit is stupider than I
anticipated.