[mythtv-users] Any way to tell which tuner card might be bad?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Fri Mar 12 15:48:06 UTC 2010

> Do you not have space in the backend for another HDD? That would be
> the best way. A decent internal HDD should be able to sustain 80MB/s+,
> though seeking will hurt you with 3 recordings + commflags going. But
> again, at SD bitrates, you should be fine.

My server is a old Dell PowerEdge 1600SC, so not a lot of space (bays)
for regular HDs, but I'm sure I could make it work. Plus the server
doesn't have SATA. I think USB is even 1.1, not 2.0.

I was hoping I could do this as a proof of concept to see if it fixes
my issues, since before a couple months ago I never had this issue and
my setup has been running this way for years.

This could point to it really being one of the tuners and not the HD at
all, but watching which recordings are taking place I don't think it's
the tuner card. The same tuner card does not always have the issue.
Seems to happen most when there are 2-3 recordings going, and then
commercial flagging kicks in on recordings that already finished.

Thanks,
James