[mythtv-users] IEEE-1394 Woes

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu Mar 11 18:57:14 UTC 2010

Gabe Rubin wrote:
> I am not sure.  I don't use CentOS, so I don't know the specifics
> (although I do know that people do have a working firewire connection
> with CentOS and a DCT-6200; they just have to run a script often that
> primes the connection).  If you search my name in the archives, I had
> issues getting a working connection with the juju drivers and
> explained how I blacklisted that and got this working (this was a
> couple years ago -- I recently had problems that I overcame, but that
> was because juju is built into the new fedora kernels; I don't believe
> that is the case for CentOS and you should not need to do what I
> recently had to do).

I'll take a look for your posts.

> Are you sure that the driver is loaded and you have the right kmdl?
> do a rpm -qa |grep ieee to see what comes up and lsmod | grep ieee.
> Otherwise, you should check the wiki and make sure that your firewire
> card/chip is one that others have gotten to work.  Could be you need a
> more friendly firewire card.

This *chipset* is listed on the wiki as working. The card, I'm not so sure.

I've rebooted this host a couple of times since working with the DCT-6200 and
now that I look at it, it doesn't look like the drivers are automatically

$modprobe -v ieee1394
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.10.1.el5/updates/drivers/ieee1394/ieee1394.ko
$modprobe -v ohci1394
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.10.1.el5/updates/drivers/ieee1394/ohci1394.ko
$dmesg
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:02:03.0[A] -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 217
ohci1394: fw-host0: OHCI-1394 1.1 (PCI): IRQ=[217]  MMIO=[fdeff000-fdeff7ff]
Max Packet=[2048]  IR/IT contexts=[4/8]

Does that look right to you?