[mythtv-users] Can't read edid all of the sudden

Paul Kendall paul at kcbbs.gen.nz
Thu Mar 11 05:43:13 UTC 2010

> A few days ago, in the middle of a movie, the TV went blank.  Backlight
> was on, but the picture was totally black.  I restarted the X server and
> everything was fine.
>
> Now it's happened again, except that the panel comes up in the default
> 640x480 mode.  No EDID information.  This system has worked fine since
> the last major sofware upggrade on February 10th, and nothing has
> changed, so I'm pretty confident that it's not an errant software
> upgrade.  The hardware has been unchanged for a year or so.
>
> Could be a) the TV itself is dying (I'd hate for that to be true) or b)
> the video card is dying (much cheaper) but before I start hacking away
> at hardware I'd like to get some opinions on what could possibly be
> causing the EDID to fail suddenly.

I had this exact same thing happen to me about 2 months ago on my 50"
LG plasma. Although mine was saying that it was reading a corrupt EDID.
I tried several cables and even hooked up another computer to make
sure it wasn't the cable or the video card and so it remains a problem
and I think it's with the plasma :-(

The solution I found was to get the EDID on the 'net and configure the
nvidia driver (through xorg.conf) to read from a file.

So, I'd try reading the EDID from the TV with another computer/video card
and saving it out and using that. If you can't read the EDID with another
machine, try another cable or look on the net for an EDID that you could
use.

Cheers,
Paul