[mythtv-users] mythstream workaround?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Wed Mar 10 22:57:43 UTC 2010

The solution offered at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Internet_tv has turned
out to offer a semblance of mythstream's video capabilities. That is, it
allows you to tune in one or a few TV streams--once you've found the
URL/URI/MRL (which turned out to be hiding pretty much in plain sight in
the case of the one I was having trouble with yesterday). It's a bit of a
kludge and is also not too intuitive: why would you go looking in the
Videos folder for streaming internet television? But anyway it can do in a
pinch for one or a few stations.

On the shoutcast/audio front I'm still casting about for some workarounds,
though. An ideal solution might be to get something like last.fm or
Pandora to stream some personalized station, depending on taste. But from
what I've gathered in my searching, it is no longer possible to stream
last.fm through mythtv: is that correct? I had found some older write-ups
detailing how to use lastfmproxy in conjunction with mythtv (see
http://www.mythdorawiki.com/wiki/index.php/Lastfm2myth ) but it seems
last.fm made some changes in service that have rendered this solution
obsolete. But I want to ask all the same whether last.fm or any other
streaming audio service like Pandora, etc, can be made to work with
mythtv?

Finally, it seems at least shoutcast stations/genres can be accessed
through VLC (see, for example, the article at
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Productivity-Sauce-Dmitri-s-open-source-blend-of-productive-computing/Replace-Last.fm-with-VLC
for a description of that). Could VLC, with a list of shoutcast genres, be
somehow invoked through mythtv menus?

Input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James