[mythtv-users] tuner is asleep FYI

Dan Armbrust daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 03:33:52 UTC 2010

I had a sporadic issue on Mythbuntu where the two tuners from my
HVR-2200 kept being reported (in some places) by myth as "tuner is
asleep" - in other places, it wouldn't even show them (like mythweb -
it only showed the encoders from my other tuner - no mention of the
missing tuners)

Searching this list, the only references I found to tuners being
asleep was dealing with tuners on a slave.

It turns out, the tuner is asleep message is kind of misleading in this case.

What was actually happening was the myth backend was starting before
my HVR-2200 was initialized (sometimes) - leading to these errors:

2010-03-09 18:17:43.537 DVBChan(4:/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0)
Warning: Opening DVB frontend device failed.
                        eno: No such file or directory (2)
2010-03-09 18:17:43.545 DVBChan(4:/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0) Error:
Failed to open DVB frontend device due to fatal error or too many
attempts.

Restarting the backend would correct it.

I fixed it at boot time by making an addition to my init file -
/etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf:

###

script
        #added to ensure that the DVB-T cards are init before myth
        while [ ! -c /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 ] || [ ! -c
/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0 ]; do
                sleep 1s
        done
        #end of additions - original code below

        test -f /etc/default/mythtv-backend && .
/etc/default/mythtv-backend || true
        exec /bin/su -c "/usr/bin/mythbackend $ARGS" $USER
end script

###

With inspiration from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1345079

Not sure if Myth itself could do something better to handle this...
certainly wouldn't want to wait forever on a mis-configured card...
but at the same time, maybe it could schedule a retry thread on some
sort of a schedule if a configured card is not yet present?

Dan