[mythtv-users] Nvidia GT220 - extra memory worth it?

Greg Hermsen g.hermy15 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 21:41:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Matt S. <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 17 Feb 2010, at 13:57, Mike Holden wrote:
> >
> >> I am looking at a GT220, now that the HDMI audio seems to be heading for
> mainstream.
> >>
> >> Looking at what's available in the shops, it appears to come in 2
> flavours, with
> >> either 512Mb or 1024Mb of memory on board, but otherwise identical, soch
> as the 2
> >> here:
> >>

> http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/PCI-E/nVIDIA+GeForce+GT220
> >>
> >> Does the extra memory make any difference for MythTV VDPAU use at all?
> What about
> >> non-VDPAU use? Is it worth paying the extra to double the memory, or is
> it throwing
> >> money down the drain (presumably an extra power drain as well as the
> purchase
> >> cost?)
> >
> > I have a 1GB GT220 but I've never seen any mention on the nvidia lists
> mythtv dev list or on here of anything that needs >512MB or would benefit
> from it, if there was I'd be using it. I got a GT220 pretty much as soon as
> they were available and the 1GB was the one in stock at the time.
> >
> > The Nvidia 195 betas have support for multiple simultaneous vdpau
> streams, maybe Advanced 2x 1080i on two monitors (if that's even possible)
> would need >512MB but just wild speculation really :-)
> >
> > Andre
>

> I've got a GT240 with 512MB, GDDR5.  I'm having no problems with that
> amount of memory.

Hi Matt.  I'm using the GT240 in MythBuntu with the Synaptic package's
driver 185.xxx (?).  I went to Nvidia's weg site and when I drilled down to
the model number GT240, there were no more-recent drivers listed.  I also
have a GeForce 9400 on which I'm using driver# 195.xxx (?).   Can you tell
me which driver you're using with your GT240?  Is your audio running through
your HDMI output?

Thnaks,
Greg