[mythtv-users] Hard Drive reliability esp. RAID issues

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Mar 8 21:49:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you run ZFS on FUSE in user space or has there been a change to the
> whole licensing question for ZFS?

No, I run ZFS on OpenSolaris so there is no licensing issue. A Linux VM runs
on that box for a more familiar environment and to run MythBackend. It
wouldn't work well with tuner cards, but I use an HDHR, so it's fine for me.
Solaris handles the disks, Linux runs most everything else I need from that
box. I've considered setting up a Windows VM for PlayOn, but decided there
isn't enough content available that I want to make it worth my while.

I do hope that the licensing issue gets worked out though, Linux has far
better hardware support. Or I suppose Sun/Oracle could port more drivers in
from BSD and Linux.