[mythtv-users] Partitioning

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 19:04:00 UTC 2010

R. G. Newbury wrote:

>>On the 750G drive I'd make a partition large enough to store a complete
>>copy of the running system less the videos - and set up a cron job to
>>duplicate the running system to it on a periodic basis. Better still,
>>use something like Storebackup to keep more than one version. The rest
>>I'd allocate to video storage. Not sure if I;d make a separate LVM group
>>for it (ease of resizing), or just use plain partitions (better
>>performance ?).
>>
>>That's what I'd do anyway. At the moment my Myth backend runs as a Xen
>>DomU and all filesystems are on LVMs expoerted as block devices from the
>>Dom0.
>>
>The major problem with making your video store out of an LVM group,
>is that if any of the drives in the LVM die, you will likely lose
>ALL of the recordings. (Or at least that is what I remember reading
>here.) With storage groups, you just add another partition (/video,
>/video2..etc.) and myth takes care of it, automagically. Of course,
>if a disk dies, you lose what is on it. If you are really worried,
>then RAID is the way to go but it is an expensive route.

Guess I wasn't clear. For the 750G drive, I'd have two partitions,
but not sure if I'd have them as native partitions (ie hard to resize
if I find I need a bit more space on the backup partition). The
alternative is that I'd setup an LVM group containing ONLY this drive
and make the backup and video storage an LV each (so fairly easy to
resize if needed).

What I wouldn't do, for the reasons stated, is add the 750G and part
of the other drive to one LVM storage group.

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it.
This is NOT the same thing as the printer drivers to load on the
computer - there's no problem there.
If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd be grateful -
requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...