[mythtv-users] Good Frontend

P.J. Trudell pjtrudell at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 14:56:41 UTC 2010

Everyone,
Again thanks for your help.  I like the revo idea but I think I am going to go a different way.  My question on the following will the Atom 330 run without the fan?  The 330 board is only $40 more than the 230 board, but I am looking for complete quite.  I am assuming that the 230 will also work as a frontend and secondary backend using a HD-PVR.

Here is what I am planning on putting together unless you guys thing the 330 will run fan less or the flash drive will be too slow for the mythbuntu install.  Does anyone think 4 gigs of ram is necessary?

1.  Zotac ionitx-CU Intel Atom 230  with power supply $150.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500028&cm_re=zotec_ion_230-_-13-500-028-_-Product

The 330 dual core board is $40 more but has a fan.

2.  2 Gigs Ram- $53.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134012

3.  Thumb Drive 4-8G  $22 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220252

The newegg reviews has at least one guy using this attached to the back
of his tv using a couple of nails.  I am adding a case (at least for my
first one).  Without a case I am guessing I would have to make a power
button (at least for the first boot) then try to get the wake on usb to
work.  Seems like the cost of making a power button look nice will pay for the case.

4.  Case $40   http://www.mini-box.com/M350-universal-mini-itx-enclosure

5.   I am also adding a usb external dvd drive for $45.

Withought the case and the dive it is <$240.  The case and the DVD adds about $90.  But it is completely quite.

P.J.