[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: Using the PS3 remote with multiple Frontends

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 17:36:38 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 12:24 PM, David Kubicek <foceni at gmail.com> wrote:

> As any BT device, the remote is *paired* with your FE. You cannot use one
> remote with two FE's at the same time. You can however have several remotes
> for several FE's without interference. To use one remote with different FE's
> one at a time, you just have to re-pair on each switch.

A minor correction or perhaps I'm just arguing semantics, but I have a
motorola bluetooth stereo headset, and that device can remember up to
12 different devices. It's true that it can't use more than one at the
same time, but if I want to switch from my iPod to my Palm Pre for
example, I just shut down the iPod and tell the Pre to connect. So it
does appear that some BT devices can at least 'remember' more than one
device at a time. I should have mentioned in my OP that I was curious
if the PS3 remote had the same feature.

> For a quick FE switch, I'd suggest a dedicated button on your PC case (or a
> special hot-key for your desktop environment), which would instantly
> initiate BT pairing. With current BT & udev versions, the pairing is
> permanent across reboots.

That sounds fairly easy, and considering I just inherited 150 Angstrom
blades, I have lots of wires and buttons I could use. Any idea what
the button would do or what it would plug into? I'm not sure how it
would interface, exactly.

> I'd also suggest you use the latest BlueZ version with extra PS3 patches. It
> supports auto-disconnect timeout (and auto-reconnect on next button press),
> which tremendously extends battery life.

Noted, thanks for the help, I'll have a look at BlueZ.