[mythtv-users] major db problem upgrading from 0.21-fixes to 0.22

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 7 06:16:22 UTC 2010

On 03/06/2010 06:41 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 6 March 2010 23:23, Audio Phile wrote:
>
>> new version: 1216
>> 2010-03-06 18:09:12.841 DB charset conversions update failed! Your database seems to be partially corrupted. Please move the backup to a safe place. Your database must be fixed before you can upgrade beyond 0.21-fixes. Please see http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Fixing_Corrupt_Database_Encoding for information.
>> 2010-03-06 18:09:12.866 Database Schema upgrade FAILED, unlocking.
>> 2010-03-06 18:09:12.891 Couldn't upgrade database to new schema
>> 2010-03-06 18:09:13.049 mythbackend version: branches/release-0-22-fixes [23566M] www.mythtv.org
>>
>> I have no idea what these errors are nor how to resolve them.  Any advise is greatly appreciated.
>>
> If you haven't already, I suggest you start by reading the relevant
> wiki entry (the URL is purposefully provided in the error message
> above).

Normally, this would be the right advice, but in this case, the error is
due to a corrupt database /schema/, not corrupt data.  Your program
table is missing the title_pronounce column.  The only supported fix is
for you to use the "only use if your database is corrupt beyond repair"
partial-restore (since yours is corrupt beyond repair--meaning even if
you fix the problems you see, you'll likely leave a broken DB schema or
at the least broken DB data:  if one thing is broken in a way that
MythTV could /never/ have broken it, there's likely far more broken than
what you'll notice).
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_of_a_backup
(and I highly recommend you don't use the partial restore with plugin data)

You'll need to take your 0.21-fixes database backup (the
pre-all-the-upgrade-attempts backup you made before attempting the first
upgrade--do not try to use the partially-upgraded version you have now,
as it is now corrupt because of the upgrade failure), create a blank
0.21-fixes database schema (no data, but all tables intact), and do a
partial restore of the data.  Basically, you want the opposite of:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Partial_restore_when_upgrading_MythTV
(rather than upgrade, backup, create blank DB, do partial restore;
you'll have use a pre-upgrade blank DB, do a partial restore, then
upgrade since your database is not upgradeable)

Since you need MythTV 0.21-fixes installed to create a blank DB schema,
you'll probably want to use the blank DB schema I posted to the list, as
described at:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Fixing_Corrupt_Database_Encoding#Partial_vs_.22equal.22_corruption

So, long story short, the answer to your problem is on the page
referenced in the error message and that Nick highlighted for you--but
the problem you have is far more serious than the problem that page
describes, so you'll need to use the partial corruption fix (which,
fortunately, should fix the issues you're seeing).

Mike