[mythtv-users] How to play video files from a DVD data disc

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Mar 5 15:58:46 UTC 2010

Paul Gardiner wrote:
> Hi,
> The question is probably more about minimyth or Linux than MythTv,
> but I bet a lot of people here know the answer. I've archived
> some mp4 files to a DVD. Myth can play them via MythVideo if
> I copy them to my server, but I'd like to play them directly
> from the DVD. I'm aware that I configure MythVideo to search
> several directories, so I should be able to change the current
> "/mnt/video" to "/mnt/video:/media/dvd" or something like that,
> but what's the best way to arrange for the dvd to be mounted,
> or is there some sort of magic pathname that would do the job?
> I imagine I could ssh in and issue a mount command, but that's
> too awkward to do every time. I'm looking for a solution that
> works well with minimyth. I've asked on the minimyth forum,
> but not managed to get a reply as yet.

I suspect that your problem is going to be that playing off a DVD, any player is
going to expect the format to be to the standard, which is mpeg2 files in
specific locations and directories.

Of course, if you pull your files to disc, they are just media files and myth
will work out what they are and play them.

--

Mike Perkins