[mythtv-users] Best method to change from OTA to Unencrypted Cable Channels

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 4 21:09:37 UTC 2010

On 03/04/2010 03:05 PM, robert Larson wrote:
> I just upgraded out tv watching experience from a OTA antenna to Basic
> cable. We will now have 80 some channels instead of 5. What would be
> the best method of adding the channels into myth? I get my listings
> from SD, so I know that I will need to go there and update the channel
> listings for my area, but I am not very sure as to what settings I
> should use for scanning the channels.

If you use Schedules Direct, you should not scan for analog channels.
To clear out your old info, use the "Delete all video sources" portion
of http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 and
note that the linked page is now at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_Channel_Editor .

> I do know that there is some HD channels with our package and I do
> have a HD tuner card (AVerTV HD A180)
> I tried to do quick scan and I found that it didn't lock on to
> anything (but that is more then likely user error) The cable company
> that we use is not charter or comcast. Its the local cable company
> that is pretty small. I do know that they use STD as the signal but
> that's about it. Any ideas would be helpful. All the channels are open
> and are not encrypted.

You will need to scan for digital channels.