[mythtv-users] Filesystem type / partition layout advice?

Dan Armbrust daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 16:57:23 UTC 2010

I'll be setting up a Myth backend shortly, and using a dedicated 1.5
TB drive for program storage.  OS goes on a different disk.

I'm having trouble finding a good, up-to-date answer for what sort of
filesystem should be used, and how many partitions?

(I only ask about the partitions, because I'm currently ignorant about
how MythTV handles deletes, but somewhere I got the impression that it
uses the percentage of free disk space as part of the measure - so
perhaps I want one partition for tv recordings that I may or may not
care about, and another partition for shows or DVDs that I want stored
forever?)

Anyway, on the file system front... it seems that EXT3 had issues...
but now there is a partial workaround in myth for large file deletes.

EXT4?
XFS?
Reiser4?
JFS?
BTRFS?

The general impression that I get lately is EXT4 or XFS are the latest
best working for Myth's needs?

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan