[mythtv-users] Need sound help

Stephen Sassman sassman1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 13:50:43 UTC 2010

I am running mythbuntu 9.10 (Karmic w/ 0.22) For the last week, I have been
unable to get my sound working. I'm not even sure what happened to make it
stop working. I have alsa installed (1.0.22) along with alsa-tools. I
checked all settings on alsamixer. I have tried to get sound from the analog
and digital outs from my onboard sound card. I can hear popping sounds
whenever I change certain settings in alsamixer, but cannot hear the audio.
Even if I unmute the S/PDIF slider and turn volume up to 100, it still
doesn't work. Then, when I go to play a video, the S/PDIF volume goes to
zero and I cannot change it until the video is finished playing.

My best guess is that something is holding the sound card hostage, but I'm
not sure what since this happens even on a freshly booted system. I've tried
installing/uninstalling pulseaudio and esound, but neither of those solved
the problem either. I am out of ideas and ready to reinstall at this point,
but my CD drive is broke so can't do that either. Please help! Thanks!

# aplay -l
card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK804]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK804 -
IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

# lsmod |grep snd
snd_intel8x0           36936  1
snd_ac97_codec        126264  1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus                2240  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                94344  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              26000  1 snd_pcm
snd                    76584  6
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               9088  1 snd
snd_page_alloc         11088  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

/etc/asound.conf  is set up as indicated here:
www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_Digital_Sound