[mythtv-users] 1TB+ drive recommendation?

Krzysztof Adamski k at adamski.org
Tue Mar 2 01:57:36 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 11:08 +1100, Jon Whitear wrote:
> ----- "Bobby Gill" <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
> Samsung Spinpoint F3EG 1TB:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152202
> Seagate Barracuda 1TB:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433
> WD 1.5TB Green:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136351
> Samsung F2 1.5TB:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152175
> ^^ These last two are only ~$15 more for another 500GB... yikes how do
> I resist!
>
> I bought the WD 1.5TG Green drive for sue with a linux  software raid.
> It was a disaster (trying googling.) Replaced it with the Seagate
> 1.5TB drive and it's running fine.

I did exactly the same thing, got the WD 1.5T Green, put them into a linux software raid, then sold them and replaced them with Seagates 1.5T. This was for a file server.
For a myth box I used the Hitachi 2T drives. They are even faster then the Seagates, you can get them for C$170 from CanadaComputers. I'm very happy with them.