[mythtv-users] 1TB+ drive recommendation?

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 22:34:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
> Looking to make some changes between BE/FE boxes and would like to add a
> 1TB+, looking at a few different ones I'd appreciate feedback from y'all who
> may have any experience with any of these:
>
> Samsung Spinpoint F3EG 1TB:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152202
> Seagate Barracuda 1TB:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148433
> WD 1.5TB Green:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136351
> Samsung F2 1.5TB:
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152175
> ^^ These last two are only ~$15 more for another 500GB... yikes how do I
> resist!
>
> Unless any of the above are highly recommended, the WD100FALS looks like the
> go-to drive??
> http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136284
>
> Thanks a lot for any help
> Bob

Well it depends what you will be using it for.  I'd recommend using a
separate drive for your system/db disk then for recordings.  I'd go
with a fast small drive for the system disk, and a slow cool quiet
drive (like the WD Green series) for the media files.  If you are
going to do raid that changes things a bit, non-enterprise drives
sometimes have long error checking times which can cause them to fall
out of the array, not a nice situation.