[mythtv-users] Full alsa sound

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 1 22:27:06 UTC 2010

On 03/01/2010 05:14 PM, Brent Bolin wrote:
> Hello all.  Was just wondering when setting alsa volume levels why
> mythtv doesn't do all the volume levels.
>
> For example
>
> Master, PCM and Front
>
> Setting master and/or pcm take effect, but front is not adjusted.  To
> get the full volume out of my front ends I need to login and run
> alsamixer and manually set front to get full volume.
>
> Currently using stereo jack on a couple of front ends.

Myth's ALSA audio output support is basically just a (series of?)
hack(s) to extend the original OSS audio output support and was never
fully developed.  The fact that the current code presumes that all audio
cards have a Master and PCM control (which is not true in the case of a
large number of Intel-HDA-based sound cards) is another anachronistic
assumption that should eventually be fixed with a big refactoring of the
audio code.  (Note that I did not say a "planned refactoring.")

Anyone wishing to do said refactoring would make a lot of people happy.

Mike