[mythtv-users] Should I run mythfiledatabase

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 1 21:27:39 UTC 2010

On 03/01/2010 04:18 PM, Gavin Whitehead wrote:
> I'm confused.  If I get my listings via EIT do I need to run
> mythfilldatabase?  I've just read the wiki page for mythfilldatabase
> and it only refers to xmltv not EIT. Currently mythfilldatabase runs
> everytime I exit the backend and on some scheduled basis as well I think.
>
> I'm running 0.22 in the UK with Freeview via a WinTV NOVA TD-500 (and
> next week I'll get a NOVA HD S2 as well :-) )

If you've properly configured your video sources, then, no, you
shouldn't run mythfilldatabase (with MythTV 0.21-fixes or higher).

In other words, if all of your MythTV Video Sources are set with the
grabber specified as "No Grabber" or "Transmitted guide only (EIT)",
then there's no reason to run mythfilldatabase.  Simply turn off,
"Automatically run mythfilldatabase," in mythtv-setup.  (As far as the
"every time you exit the backend" part goes, fix your start script to
not do that--I don't know why any script would ever be designed to do
that, as it's rather abusive of the listings source.)

Mike