[mythtv-users] Extra random recordings

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Mar 1 19:57:02 UTC 2010

On 03/01/2010 12:00 PM, Gerald Brandt wrote:
> I see that too occasionally.
>
> Gerald
>
> ----- "Shawn Asmussen" <shawn.asmussen at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
> I'm having a wierd issue with my 0.22 mythtv, where occasionally (About
> once or twice a month), the backend will record some completely random
> show that I can't find any rhyme or reason for it to record. For
> example, the upcoming recordings list currently has an instance of
> something called Randy Jackson Presents: America's Best Dance Crew set
> to record. This isn't anything even remotely like the shows that I
> normally watch, and I can't find any reason why it should match any of
> my recording rules. Has anybody seen anything like this before, and if
> so do you know what I need to do in order to correct the problem?
> Thanks,
> Shawn Asmussen

Occasionally, very occasionally, I have had shows recorded, which have
the correct title and subtitle for what I expected to record, but are a
different show. Sometimes, it is a show an hour or two off (either way)
from what I expected to record. Sometimes, it is something entirely
different. (ie. set to record Nature, get Nova)

I wonder if your error does not represent the other side of the coin.
Can you please check to see if, at the date and time that 'Randy
Jackson' is supposed to record, you do not have something else set to
record? On the same or another channel?

The error is so infrequent and hard to track down that I have never been
able to establish any reasonable source for the error. My best guess is
actually that the originating TV station messed up their spreadsheet of
upcoming programs, as I understand that that is how a lot of stations
actually do their planning/scheduling. If I set the program to be
recorded some 12 days in advance, the schedule may change without my
noticing it, but myth records that date/time anyway, *keeping the
title/subtitle information which existed at the time I set the record
schedule*.

The full way to check this, is to keep a copy of the daily
mythfilldatabase run, and go back later to see what the timetable
actually said. (much later! if you are a month plus 2 weeks of Olympics
behind in your viewing!) I did for a while, but never found the
error...probably because I had started to check for non-existant listing
errors in the 'Upcoming Recordings' list.

Geoff