[mythtv-users] Adding another tuner to Mythbuntu 10.04 running .23-fixes

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 11:14:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 06/21/2010 09:51 PM, Christopher Kerr wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Brent Bolin wrote:
>>

>>> What is the best way to go about this?
>>>

>>> Run mythtv-setup and remove all
>>> Shutdown and install the new card
>>> Run mythtv-setup and reinstall all tuners
>>>
>>> Any input would be appreciated
>>>

>> Seems overly complex to me. I've had no problems with "Plug it in, run
>> mythtv-seup, add the new capture card, create the input connection,
>> have lunch, check that new schedule is correct", even for USB tuners
>> that I've plugged in whilst the system was running.
>>
>> I suppose this method might be undesirable if you use the "add the
>> tuners in the right order" method for helping LiveTV play nice with
>> MultiRec, but that's about it.
>>
>> That said, since setting up capture cards only takes a few seconds, I
>> can't see any harm in your way, since it'll leave the video sources
>> and channel listings alone.
>>

> And it allows you to "add the tuners" (really connect the inputs) "in the
> right order" for helping the scheduler to use the proper inputs (connected
> to the proper sources) in the right order for normal, non-Live-TV recordings
> (since input priorities are evil and don't do what you think they do).
>
> Live TV or not, inputs should be connected in the right order.
>
> If, however, all inputs and video sources are equivalent, then just do as
> Chris said--add a new capture card, connect the input, and enjoy.
>
> Mike

I had a small snafu happen when I tried to add the additional card so
I aborted adding the 4th physical card and just used my existing 3
cards.

Fixed the snafu on the 4th card and then added it to the system
without problems.

I've labeled the card when configuring capture cards by identifying
the chip set it finds.  Dvico or pcHD5500.

Don't know for sure witch card slot is the actual tuner because I have
2 sets of chip sets I'm dealing with.  I would guess it's based on the
PCI/PCe slot that each card is installed in.

I can say for sure that the card labels I entered don't match the true
card name.  The reason I say this is because when I hit one of the
programed keys on my remote to display signal strength(alt-f7) it
shows signal levels of the card marked "Dvico 1".

Dvico cards do not support signal strength option.

So to get at least the card type correct I might "delete all" and try
to re add them.

I have another question in regards to virtual/multirec settings.
Currently just used the default option of 2 for each card.  All of my
recordings are being done OTA.  I have at least 3 stations doing
multiplexed broadcasts.

For a test I started recording 4 shows from the same multiplexed
broadcast.  2 recordings went to one card and 2 recordings went to
another card.  Wouldn't it be best for me to change the virtual number
of each of these cards to the maximum(4) number of multiplexed
broadcasts for my area?

I don't use any input priorities.