[mythtv-users] JYA release repo + jaunty problems with mythbackend starting

David Asher asherml at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 01:39:24 UTC 2010

It looks like the JYA release mythtv-backend package on jaunty now tries to use upstart to start the job (/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend is GONE).

Unfortunately mythtv-backend doesn't start for me.  When I try to do it by hand I get:

$ sudo start mythtv-backend
start: Unknown job: mythtv-backend
$

Can any one help me?  I have NO idea how upstart works.  Pointers to what to look at would be great.  I did check that upstart was installed:

$ aptitude search upstart
i   upstart                                               - event-based init daemon
i   upstart-compat-sysv                                   - compatibility for System-V-like init
i   upstart-logd                                          - boot logging daemon

JYA, did you intend to switch the 9.04 mythtv-backend package over to upstart?

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

David.