[mythtv-users] Partitioning 1TB disk to MythTV

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 11:59:52 UTC 2010

Josu Lazkano wrote:

>I have a HTPC and I want to install MythTV to watch satellite
>channels, the PC has 1TB hard drive. How I must partition it?

There's no "MUST" about it - you can partition it as you want, but
there are some recommendations.

Personally I would do it like this :
100M for /boot - not required these days, but I'm just a bit stuck in my ways !
5G for / - should be waaay more than you need but it's hard to resize
afterwards.
Some swap
The rest as an LVM PV

Within the LVM I'd then create volumes for :
/var - about 5G should see you through
wherever the database stores it's files (/var/lib/mysql ?)
The rest for a recording store. Mount it on (for example) /store, but
create a directory in it and store the recording files in
/store/recordings. That way, if it fails to mount for some reason,
Myth will fail to find the directory and fail, rather than filling up
/

Ideally you would put your OS and database on a separate physical
drive - that way you can parallelise access to the database whilst
streaming recordings to/from disk.

Also, I might keep back some of the LVM initially - that way, if you
find you want a bit more room for the db or /var, then there's some
spare to extend the LV into.
--
Simon Hobson