[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Mon Jun 28 05:35:52 UTC 2010

On 06/27/2010 08:31 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> The changes discussed earlier are in SVN #25179

That took a while to show up in the repository.

If I set up Pulse Audio to use analog 7.1, is there a difference between using "ALSA:pulse" and
"ALSA:surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0"? Both seem to work, and I'm getting sound out of all 7 speakers regardless of which one I choose.
If I understand things correctly, "ALSA:pulse" would mix system sounds with TV sounds if selected, and
"ALSA:surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0" would give me TV sound at the expense of system sounds. But I've misunderstood this so many
times, I don't trust my thinking.

Selecting "ALSA:iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0" changes "Audio Processing Capabilities" to a greyed check box for "LPCM" with that
checkbox checked. Speaker configuration is stereo only, no other options. I don't see how to enable digital pass through on
this. Is that because my Pulse setup outside of mythTV is now analog 7.1?

manually entering "ALSA:default" ungreys the analog or LPCM checkbox, and I can select between stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 when it is
checked, or stereo only when unchecked. The options for digital pass through are still missing though.

I don't plan to switch back to digital pass through permanently, but I am trying to test all of these settings for you. I have
left the SPDIF cable in parallel with the analog cables so I can test it.

Under "Advanced audio configuration", the check boxes don't quite line up.

the comment for "Separate digital output device" I'm not sure I understand. It says: "Use a distinct digital output device from
the default". Does this mean "explicitly specify the digital output device, ignoring what the default specifies"? (I know that
sentence is worded awkwardly, don't use my wording).