[mythtv-users] Always use the HD PVR and retire my PVR 250, or continue to use both in same recording group

Ajay Sharma ajayrockrock at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 17:35:55 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 8:36 AM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 7:02 PM, James Maclaren <maclaren at tulane.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I have just recently bought an HDPVR - wished I had known they would be on
>> sale - everything is working fine. I have a PVR 250 as well currently on the
>> same feed for SD shows from directv.  Both the hdpvr and pvr 250 are in the
>> same recording group.  My question is, should I just record everything on
>> component to the hdpvr or keep the current configuration.  What are other
>> users doing? How will the quality/size be of sd recordings compare to that
>> of the pvr 250 recorded in 480i through s-video?  I have my directv box set
>> to ouput 720p which is the resolution of my hdtv.
>> Thanks for any advice.
>> James
>>
> I just setup my HD-PVR yesterday and in a similar situation.
>
> Will the directv box output s-video and component at the same time?
>
> My PVR-250 recordings were about 2.2GB/hour while my HD-PVR 480i recordings
> are coming in at about 0.8 GB/hour so that's significantly smaller.  The
> quality is perhaps not quite as good but I think it's good enough.  I only
> have two channels I watch that aren't available in HD (comedy central and
> BBC America).

(this might be hijacking this thread a little, sorry in advance)

I've been thinking about getting an HD-PVR.  And if some channels
aren't in "HD", does that mean there's no component output for those
channels?  And you can only capture those channels via s-video?  I'm
asking because I was always under the impression that I could go:
STB->HD-PVR->MythTV and capture everything that the STB was receiving.
 From your email, I'm assuming that you have to maintain a method to
record SD video as well.

--Ajay