[mythtv-users] vdpau problem

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 16:13:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Friday, June 25, 2010 09:49:20 am James Orr wrote:
>
> > > Perhaps thermal?
> > >
> > > Is the video card being well-cooled? Check the fan is working (if you
> > > have one), and also check for any dust buildup that
> > > might impede airflow.
> > >
> > > The nVidia setting application lets you check the temperature of the
> GPU.
> > >
> > > If you're using VDPAU you won't push the CPU much, which explains the
> low
> > > load, but you are pushing the GPU, and it will
> > > throttle itself back if it gets too hot.
> >
> > Yeah, that's it.  I opened the case and graphics card fan isn't moving at
> > all.
> >
> > There was a loud fan noise a few months back, but I thought it was the
> CPU
> > fan and changed that and it seemed to stop making the noise after that
> too,
> > but I guess that was just because it must have given up entirely!
> >
> > Time for a new card then!
>
> If you want to waste a lot of money, otherwise I'd just replace the fan.
> Most I have seen on graphics cards are easily
> replaceable. The hard part is finding a new one, but a diligent search
> should find one.

Yeah, but I want it quickly, so I've ordered a new card from amazon with
next day shipping through amazon prime (I love that service!).  This one has
an actual HDMI with spdif pass through whereas my current card is just using
DVI to HDMI cable, so there are other advantages to this card than just
getting a new one.

It is kind of a pain though, I've just had to replace a faulty motherboard
on my slave backend, seems like all these hardware faults are hitting me at
once.