[mythtv-users] vdpau problem

James Orr james.orr7 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 15:49:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Friday, June 25, 2010 09:29:16 am James Orr wrote:
> > I think this is a hardware problem ...
> >
> > About a month ago I started getting stutters on 1080i recordings.  720p
> is
> > fine.  Sometimes it would start about 10 minutes into a show, other times
> > not for 30 or 40 minutes.  If I stopped playback for a few minutes and
> then
> > came back it would be ok but after a short while would start stuttering
> > again.  The recording would play back fine through my PS3 via mythtv's
> upnp
> > media server, so the original file is ok.
> >
> > Checking the frontend load I was only showing about 0.2 during the
> > stuttering.
> >
> > I also updated the nvidia drivers from 190 to 195 but still happening.
> >
> > So, time for a new video card?
>

> Perhaps thermal?
>
> Is the video card being well-cooled? Check the fan is working (if you have
> one), and also check for any dust buildup that
> might impede airflow.
>
> The nVidia setting application lets you check the temperature of the GPU.
>
> If you're using VDPAU you won't push the CPU much, which explains the low
> load, but you are pushing the GPU, and it will
> throttle itself back if it gets too hot.

Yeah, that's it.  I opened the case and graphics card fan isn't moving at
all.

There was a loud fan noise a few months back, but I thought it was the CPU
fan and changed that and it seemed to stop making the noise after that too,
but I guess that was just because it must have given up entirely!

Time for a new card then!