[mythtv-users] Lirc_serial and mceusb v2

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Thu Jun 24 15:08:48 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Joseph Flack <jflackmd at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Nick & Jarod

Eep, I missed a LOT of details that Nick noticed... :)

>> > Here is what I now have  in
>> > /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>> >
>> > ---------------------------------------
>> > touch /var/lock/subsys/local
>> >
>> > /usr/sbin/lircd --driver=lirc_serial --device=/dev/lirc1 \
>> > --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd1 --pidfiles=/var/run/lirc/lircd1.pid
>>
>> The driver to use with the lirc_serial module is "default", not
>> "lirc_serial".

I'd just omit --driver= altogether, as "default" is already, well, the
default. :)

>> > Jarod's change in /etc/sysconfig/modules/lirc.modules
>> >
>> > #!/bin/sh
>> >
>> > /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none >/dev/null 2>&1
>> > /sbin/modprode lirc_serial >/dev/null 2>&1
>>
>> You have a typo in the last line above - it should be:
>>
>> /sbin/modprobe lirc_serial >/dev/null 2>&1
> Thanks for your time.  Still working to get the serial blaster working.
> 1) I corrected all the typos, but I could not find the last one you
> indicated, above.

modpro_b_e, not modpro_d_e.

> 2) I had earlier yum installed gnome-lirc-properties from the regular
> repository.  Its broken of course. Could this have changed something?

Possibly. I'd advise against using it right now. Bastien is working on
fixing it up right now, it sort of got abandoned by its original
upstream maintainers...

> 3) permissions on lirc.modules are ok.
>
> still getting:
>
> [root at MYTHTVNEW ~]# lsmod | grep lirc
> lirc_mceusb            16308  0
> lirc_dev               12221  1 lirc_mceusb

Because of the above typo, lirc_serial isn't being modprobe'd.

> 4) For Jarod, after running 'modprobe lirc_serial debug=1
> dmseg
> excerpts:
> lirc_serial: auto-detected active high receiver
> lirc_serial lirc_serial.0: lirc_dev: driver lirc_serial registered at minor = 1

This shows lirc_serial loading and properly registering here, at
/dev/lirc1. I suspect if you fix that last typo, it'll properly load
up on boot too.

> Thanks guys.  Make I should give up, unistall the Fedora lirc with yum and
> compile from the source code?

No. Fedora lirc most definitely works. Its what I'm running w/a serial
device myself. And if it doesn't work, I'll fix it -- I maintain the
official Fedora lirc packages myself.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com