[mythtv-users] HDPVR for $169 at buy.com

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 23 18:37:15 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, June 22, 2010 07:13:56 pm jedi wrote:

> > So the Rokus can't play local files in any way? That seems odd to me.  At
> > the least it could have a USB port you could plug a flash drive into,
> > but an NFS and/or Samba client would be even nicer.
>
>     Yeah. Roku boxes are pretty limited. They have the virtue of being
> small and cheap though. I'm not sure I would recommend one to anyone.

I agree. Roku started as essentially a dedicated Netflix "Watch Instantly" player, and it will do that, but not much else.

What I *can* recommend right now in the "small and cheap" category is a Myka, especially since they are being closed out
at $89:

http://www.myka.tv/buy.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=6

That price is with no hard drive or WiFi, equipped that way they are more or less the same as a popcorn Hour 110, or an
EGreat M31B.

You can get it with a 1TB HDD (3.5"), which also gives you additional software, for $95 additional. I like the fact that
they are not gouging you on the price of an HDD. I also like that it is a Linux-based device.

I have a Myka and it plays anything I have thrown at it, with the exception of some PVR-150 recordings and DTS audio.

A LOT more capability than a Roku, for essentially the same price.

Myka is closing out the original Sigma-based units in favor of their new ION-based platform, which looks very interesting,
but seems a tad pricey to me, compared to say a Revo 1600, though it does have a dual-core Atom as opposed to the Revo's
single-core CPU:

http://www.myka.tv/buy.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=7