[mythtv-users] Lirc_serial and mceusb v2

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jun 23 02:47:18 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Joseph Flack <jflackmd at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Jarod's fix does not seem to work.  I am missing soemthing....
>
> Here is the lirc.conf in /etc/modprob.d/  Do I need to delete something?
> alias char-major-61-0 mceusb
> alias char-major-61-1 lirc_serial
> options lirc_serial irq=4 io=0x3f8
> install lirc_serial setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ; /modprobe
> --ignore-install lirc_serial
> Here is what I now have  in
> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> ---------------------------------------
> touch /var/lock/subsys/local
>
> /usr/sbin/lircd --driver=lirc_serial --device=/dev/lirc1 \
> --output=/var/run/lirc/lircd1 --pidfiles=/var/run/lirc/lircd1.pid
>
> Jarod's change in /etc/sysconfig/modules/lirc.modules
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none >/dev/null 2>&1
> /sbin/modprode lirc_serial >/dev/null 2>&1

> I get only one /dev/lirc*
>
> # ls -l /dev/lirc*
> crw-rw---- 1 root root 249, 0 Jun 22 20:14 /dev/lirc0

> # lsmod | grep lirc
> lirc_mceusb            16308  0
> lirc_dev               12221  1 lirc_mceusb
> Now I do have a Pinnicale receiver and I found a blaster that plugs into the
> back of that.  I undid the changes I made for the serial blaster and tried
> the USB blaster.  I could not create a second /dev/lirc* at boot.  I could
> using mknod.
>
> But I need to link it somehow?   I am missing something for sure....   When
> there is more than one way to do something it can get very confusing.

Don't use mknod. Ever. :)

The device nodes will be auto-created when the drivers are loaded and
able to properly bind to your hardware. Assuming the Pinnacle receiver
is the one driven by lirc_mceusb, then you don't need another lirc
device, /dev/lirc0 handles both receive and transmit.

As for why the serial device isn't working... would have to see dmesg
output after booting. Output following 'modprobe lirc_serial debug=1'
if it doesn't load on boot would also be interesting.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com